Ensuring That The Sale Goes Smoothly
Taking Your Time To Do Things Right
Selling your house is a big undertaking, and it can be easy to become overwhelmed at all that has to be done. Taking care of certain essential details, however, can help ensure that the sale proceeds efficiently and doesn’t leave any lingering issues that could come back to haunt you.
Below are some steps you can take to help make your real estate agent’s job easier, and therefore better facilitate the sale of your home:
- Get an inspection. While usually the buyer is the one who gets the home inspection, as a seller, it can help if you know ahead of time what issues might come up. You can also then either make certain repairs ahead of the sale, or you can account for the price of the needed repairs in the asking price of your home.
- Research home prices. Check real estate websites to find out what similar homes in your neighborhood have sold for. This can give you a better idea of an appropriate asking price for your own home.
- Uncover any potential liens and property disputes. Make sure there aren’t any lingering claims or conflicts related to contractors, creditors or neighbors that could complicate your sale.
- Know what you owe. Talk to your agent about what you still owe on your house. If you owe more than your house is worth on the current market, it may make sense to wait a while to sell your house.
- Clean, declutter and stage. Buyers don’t want to walk into a messy house. Paint the walls, clean the carpet, declutter and clear out closets so a potential buyer’s first impression is a good one.
Contact A Real Estate Lawyer Today
If you’re selling your house, the advice and guidance of an experienced real estate attorney can be invaluable. To contact a New York real estate lawyer at Futterman, Sirotkin & Seinfeld, LLP, call 718-577-2573 or 866-679-2513, or send us an email.