Free Consultations *
TOLL FREE: 866-679-2513
KEW GARDENS: 718-577-2573
WOODBURY: 516-681-0250
We continue to be here for you as we monitor the current COVID-19 health crisis. Futterman, Sirotkin & Seinfeld remains open. Our staff is working remotely and the firm will continue to be functional and operational.

You can reach all of us via email or leave a message on our phone extensions and we will return the calls as quickly as possible.
We are concerned about the health and safety of all of our clients and wish all of you the best during these difficult times.

Over 60 Years In Queens County
Estate /

If you sense that abuse is occurring, take steps to report it

| Jun 15, 2020 | Nursing Home Neglect

When you got the call that your mom had been hurt in her nursing home, you didn’t suspect anything unusual. You thought she must have forgotten to call for assistance or had slipped.

You were shocked when you went to see her in the hospital. She has bruises up and down her arm. She had the start of a bedsore under one knee. On top of that, she had a horrible head injury from falling.

You believe that something isn’t right and that neglect or abuse may be taking place. What should you do now?

If you suspect that nursing home abuse is taking place, it’s a good idea to get in touch with your attorney as soon as you can. You should also start taking steps to report any abuse you believe took place.

To begin with, talk to the nursing home staff members you think were involved. See what they say. If nothing good comes from that conversation, then you may want to ask to talk to a floor supervisor.

In the event that the floor supervisor can’t do anything for you, then you may want to speak with the nursing home director or administrator. They will generally listen and do what they can to prevent this kind of situation from escalating.

Finally, you may want to talk to your attorney and the state ombudsman if you plan to make a formal complaint or to pursue legal action. If you believe that abuse has taken place, then you have the right to pursue action that will help your loved one stay safe in the future.


Need Answers? Contact Us for a Free Consultation