Free Consultations *
TOLL FREE: 866-679-2513
KEW GARDENS: 718-577-2573
WOODBURY: 516-681-0250
We continue to be here for you as we monitor the current COVID-19 health crisis. Futterman, Sirotkin & Seinfeld remains open. Our staff is working remotely and the firm will continue to be functional and operational.

You can reach all of us via email or leave a message on our phone extensions and we will return the calls as quickly as possible.
We are concerned about the health and safety of all of our clients and wish all of you the best during these difficult times.

Over 60 Years In Queens County
Estate /

How do you make a medical malpractice claim?

| Jun 30, 2020 | Hospital Negligence

When you go to the hospital hoping for relief from an ailment, the last thing you expect is to end up with more issues than you had before. When a hospital fails to provide the appropriate level of care for your condition, that’s a serious problem and something that does need to be addressed.

What should you do if you feel that you’ve been a victim of medical errors? You need to follow a few steps to work toward making a medical malpractice claim.

What should you do to make a medical malpractice claim?

The first thing that you should do is reach out to the medical professional who was involved in the incident. For example, if a doctor injured you, try to talk to them to find out what went wrong and why. They may be able to help remedy the situation without you needing to take the case further.

If that doesn’t help, then it’s a good idea to go to the local medical licensing board. They can issue warnings and discipline practitioners who violate codes of ethics or who harm patients.

If neither of these things helps you, you can talk to an attorney about making a medical malpractice claim. Before you do, you may need to file a certificate of merit to prove that you suffered injuries as a result of medical errors. Get a second opinion from another medical professional in the same field to certify that your original doctor did not provide the appropriate level of care needed in your case.

Finally, you can work on your medical malpractice case with your attorney. An out-of-court settlement may be possible, depending on the situation.


Need Answers? Contact Us for a Free Consultation