Free Consultations *
TOLL FREE: 866-679-2513
KEW GARDENS: 718-577-2573
WOODBURY: 516-681-0250
We continue to be here for you as we monitor the current COVID-19 health crisis. Futterman, Sirotkin & Seinfeld remains open. Our staff is working remotely and the firm will continue to be functional and operational.

You can reach all of us via email or leave a message on our phone extensions and we will return the calls as quickly as possible.
We are concerned about the health and safety of all of our clients and wish all of you the best during these difficult times.

Over 60 Years In Queens County
Estate /

How can I monitor my loved ones’ care?

| Jun 5, 2018 | Nursing Home Neglect

When you have a loved one in a nursing home in New York, it is important to monitor the care he or she receives. This enables you to make sure your loved one is being treated properly. It also helps you stay on top of things and prevent neglect. However, knowing how to properly monitor care is not always easy.

According to U.S. News and World Report, the main way to keep on top of things when it comes to nursing home care is to visit your loved one often. On these visits, you can assess his or her condition. You can also watch staff interactions and ensure the living conditions are acceptable. It is important to not always visit at the same times. Try varying your schedule to see care and conditions at different times of the day and throughout the week.

You should also ask to see your loved one’s charts to look over medications and care instructions so you know what should be happening. Find out if medication is being given too little or too much.Talk with your loved one about any concerns he or she has, too. 

Do not be afraid to ask for inspection records. Also, find out how employees are screened. Make sure you follow up if you have any concerns to make sure they have been handled. You may also want to talk with others who are visiting their loved ones to get an idea of any concerns that seem to be universal.

Always address concerns with the administrator or someone who is in power and can make changes. Do not be afraid to stand up for your loved one’s rights. This information is for education and is not legal advice.


Need Answers? Contact Us for a Free Consultation