Free Consultations *
TOLL FREE: 866-679-2513
KEW GARDENS: 718-577-2573
WOODBURY: 516-681-0250
We continue to be here for you as we monitor the current COVID-19 health crisis. Futterman, Sirotkin & Seinfeld remains open. Our staff is working remotely and the firm will continue to be functional and operational.

You can reach all of us via email or leave a message on our phone extensions and we will return the calls as quickly as possible.
We are concerned about the health and safety of all of our clients and wish all of you the best during these difficult times.

Over 60 Years In Queens County
Estate /

Are you being discharged too soon?

| Sep 30, 2017 | Hospital Negligence

For many, being in the hospital in New York City brings with it a certain level of trepidation, and they cannot wait to get out of there. For you, however, it may offer a sense of security (particularly if you do not fully understand what is wrong with you). Having immediate access to providers that can help see to your pain might provide you with added comfort. These feelings may make the inevitable reality of your having to go home too difficult to face. Yet what if you believe that you are being discharged too early

While you want to be able to trust in the judgment of the doctor that is treating you, you also know your body better than anyone else. If you believe that you are not in a state where you should be discharged from care, you should be able to protest such an action. According to the New York Department of Health, it is well within your rights to do so. First and foremost, the law requires that you be notified in writing well in advance of your pending discharge that your doctor believes you are ready to leave. You must also be provided with contact information so that you can report any problems you may have had in leaving the facility. 

The DoH goes on to say that you have the right to appeal your discharge in the following scenarios: 

  • If you believe you are being discharged too soon
  • If you believe you have not been given adequate discharge instructions
  • If you believe the continued treatment services you need are not in place

Hospital personnel are required to give you information on how to appeal if you think you need to remain admitted to the facility. 


Need Answers? Contact Us for a Free Consultation