If the time has come to consider handing over the daily support of a loved one to a nursing home in Kew Gardens, you might reasonably have some concerns about the care he or she will receive. Unfortunately, many who were once in your same position have since had to seek our services here at Futterman, Sirotkin & Seinfeld, LLP due to their family members or friends having been abused or neglected. Safeguarding your loved from such abuse may seem difficult due to different nursing homes run by private companies being allowed to establish their own differing policies and procedures. Yet did you know that each is still required to follow the same standards of care?
Those standards were established by the Nursing Home Reform Act of 1987 in an effort to regulate the care of residents in such facilities. While several exist regarding specific topics such as medical care and nutrition, the basic guidelines governing your family member or friend’s day-to-day management (as shared by the Legal Information Institute) include:
- Providing necessary services to help residents maintain good nutrition, grooming and hygiene
- Ensuring that residents remain active enough so as to prevent pressure ulcers and bedsores
- Providing the appropriate assistance for residents struggling with incontinency
- Offering adequate supervision and assistive devices in order to prevent accidents
- Monitoring a resident’s fluid intake to help ensure adequate hydration
- Being vigilant in helping to prevent medication errors
Furthermore, the law requires that beyond seeing to your loved one’s basic needs, a nursing home and its staff must also be respectful of his or her dignity, as well as encourage and assist him or her to maintain a happy and healthy quality of life.
More information on the compliance requirements of nursing homes can be found here on our site.