If you’re getting ready to go into surgery, the last thing you may want to think about is the possibility of a surgical error. However, mistakes often occur during and after surgery in hospitals across the country. At Futterman, Sirotkin & Seinfeld, LLP, we understand the risks you may face during surgery. As experienced New York surgical mistakes attorneys, we are prepared to help you find justice if doctor negligence caused an injury or illness during your surgical procedure.
Is there anything you can do to avoid a surgical mistake? According to Consumer Reports, you may not be able to prevent a doctor mistake while you’re under anesthesia, but the following steps may improve your chances of coming through the procedure with no complications.
- Look up hospital safety ratings with Consumer Reports before scheduling your surgery.
- Talk to your surgeon about the upcoming procedure, medications, tests and what to expect after the operation.
- Understand your risks for having a heart attack, stroke or blood clot.
- Bank your blood if you’re worried about blood-borne diseases in the event you need a transfusion.
- Prepare an advanced directive to let your loved ones and doctors know the measures you’d want taken in an emergency, and assign someone you trust to act on your behalf.
- Try to schedule your surgery during times when more staff will be available, which is usually Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday mornings.
A surgical mistake or post-surgical infection can be devastating. If you are informed about your procedure and remain active in your care or designate someone to help during your recovery, you may lessen the chances of a hospital mistake. For more information on doctor negligence during surgery, visit our page on surgical errors.